If you have oily skin, you might be familiar with the struggle of finding the perfect toner. You want to refresh and soothe your skin, but it is so hard to find a toner that balances your skin’s oil production.
I have been using Isntree’s Green Tea Fresh Toner on my combination skin and wanted to share my thoughts on this replenishing Korean skincare product in this Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner review.
This Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner review post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner
Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner uses natural EWG (Environmental Working Group) green grade ingredients and plant extracts to address oily skin, making it ideal for oily and combination skin types.
This Korean green tea toner contains 80% Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (green tea extract) from Jeju Island in South Korea. This high amount of green tea extract is the star of the show.
Jeju green tea extract from Jeju Island is harvested with great care. The island lies on a dormant volcano, and due to the volcanic soil and bedrock water, tea leaves from there have a great nutritional value.
The result of a long production process is a green tea extract that retains higher levels of key nutrients than other grades of green tea leaves.
Green Tea Benefits for The Skin
Green tea extract has multiple benefits for the skin. It is anti-inflammatory, has antioxidant and antibacterial properties, and can brighten the skin.
Studies show that green tea can also help reduce sebum (oil) production in the skin and can be a treatment for acne.
Green tea’s antioxidants protect the skin against environmental stressors that cause redness, irritation, and dryness.
These antioxidants can also protect the skin from oxidative damage to maintain its vibrancy and youthfulness while helping to smooth the look of wrinkles and fine lines.
Other notable ingredients in the toner include:
- Centella Asiatica Extract at 0.01%: Centella asiatica extract comes from the leaves of the Centella asiatica plant. It is best known for its wound healing properties, but it also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
- Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract: Ginkgo biloba extract is a reparative antioxidant that helps improve the look of skin tone. It contains flavonoids and terpenoids, which are phytonutrients that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. This extract has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat a variety of health problems.
- Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract: Willow bark extract is an anti-inflammatory agent that has astringent properties. It contains salicin, a soothing agent that helps to reduce irritation in the skin.
- Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract: Blueberry extract is another potent antioxidant that can improve the look of skin tone. Blueberries are a potent antioxidant and have anti-aging benefits.
- Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract: This extract is from the needles of the longleaf pine. It provides nourishment and helps to balance the skin.
- Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract: Ulmus davidiana root extract is a plant extract that has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing benefits. It has also been shown to have photoprotective benefits.
- Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Flower Extract: Evening primrose extract has regenerative and soothing benefits. It is an anti-inflammatory agent that contains essential fatty acids to help reduce the look of redness and irritation.
- Pueraria Lobata Root Extract: Pueraria lobata root extract is also known as kudzu. It contains isoflavones that help to protect the skin from free radicals. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent that helps to improve the look of age spots while brightening the complexion.
- Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid: Hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid is a form of hyaluronic acid that has been broken down into smaller fragments. This makes it much more absorbable. Hyaluronic acid is a key component of skin that retains moisture and plumps the skin to help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Allantoin: Allantoin is a soothing agent that helps to reduce irritation and redness. It also helps to speed up the healing process of any damage done to the skin.
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate: Also known as licorice, licorice root extract is often used to brighten the skin by lightening hyperpigmentation and age spots.
- Beta-Glucan: Beta-glucan is a carbohydrate found in yeast and grains. It can be used as an anti-inflammatory agent for irritated skin, to help fade acne scars, to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and to speed up the healing process.
This Isntree green tea toner is alcohol-free, fragrance-free, and essential oil-free.
Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner Review
Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner is a little different from other toners that I’ve used because it comes out of the bottle looking just like tea – a light brown shade, as you can see in the image that is sampled on my hand.
I’ve never used a toner that contains so many antioxidants. As far as I’m concerned, the more antioxidants, the better. I love that these antioxidants protect my skin from environmental stressors, so I make sure to use this toner in the morning when my skin is exposed to UV rays.
The toner is very soothing on my skin, thanks to the multiple ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties.
It has a faint tea scent and feels like water on my skin. It absorbs easily with no stickiness. It does a great job balancing the oil production in my skin throughout the day. So no more crazy oily T-zone, which makes me happy!
It doesn’t leave a film or a layer of moisture on your skin like hydrating toners, so you’ll have to make sure that you follow with a moisturizer or a hydrating serum (like hyaluronic acid) at the very least for supplemental hydration.
I would recommend this Isntree toner to anyone who wants to balance the oils in their skin while getting a substantial dose of antioxidants and calming anti-inflammatory ingredients.
Perfect for those with irritated, acne-prone, oily, and combination skin types.
While it isn’t the cheapest toner, I am sure it will last me months as I only need a small amount to cover my face and neck.
The only drawback for me is that you can’t tell if you’ve removed any excess makeup due to the brown shade of the toner. Please note that there are many plant extracts in this toner, so be sure to patch test before using it for the first time, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Who’s It For?
This toner will be most ideal for oily skin, acne-prone skin, or normal to combination skin.
Those with dry skin may not find it hydrating enough. If your skin leans toward the oily side, but you are currently experiencing dehydrated skin, you might want to choose a more hydrating toner.
Why Use A Toner?
Toners Help Balance pH Levels
One of the most important things a pH-balanced toner does is bring pH levels back to normal. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. Neutral is at pH 7.0. A pH below 7.0 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7.0 is alkaline.
Skin tends to be naturally slightly acidic, meaning the surface has a pH level below 5.0. After cleansing the skin, the surface pH level is usually a bit higher and more alkaline.
Using a pH-balanced toner after cleansing will help bring your skin’s pH levels into a range that supports a healthy skin barrier.
Toners Remove Residual Makeup, Dirt, And Oil
Toner is an important part of your skincare routine, especially for those with acne-prone, oily, or combination skin that may experience clogged pores.
A toner removes any leftover dirt, oil, or makeup that the cleanser may have missed. It helps to remove any residue that can block pores and cause breakouts.
A toner can even remove cleanser residue that doesn’t get rinsed off completely. It refreshes your skin and helps to prep your skin for the next steps in your skincare routine.
Toners Can Be Skincare Treatments
Forget the toners of old that were filled with drying alcohol. Toners today are filled with skin-loving ingredients to address various skin concerns and skin types.
Whether you have aging, mature or dry skin looking for a hydrating toner to replenish moisture or oily skin looking to control excess oil, you’ll find a toner formulated for your skin type.
Toners Can Reduce The Look of Pores
If you are using a toner for oily and acne-prone skin, a toner can temporarily reduce the appearance of pores. It can also help reduce excess oil and shine.
When To Use A Toner In Your Skincare Routine
Toner follows the cleansing step of your skincare routine. Whether you cleanse your face once or preferably do a double cleanse by starting with a cleansing balm or oil and finishing with a water-based cleanser, a toner will be the next step in your skincare routine.
Final Thoughts on Isntree Green Tea Fresh Toner
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, this could be a great option for you. It’s an antioxidant-rich toner that won’t dry out your skin and is filled with skin protective and soothing ingredients.
Thanks for reading, and until next time, here’s to your good skin health!