It’s bad enough dealing with acne and breakouts, but being left with dark spots and scars afterward can be such a pain. I know the feeling all too well, which is why I was excited to try out COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum.
This Korean serum is designed to help the skin recover from acne in a lightweight formula that is non-irritating and comfortable on the skin.
Today, I will discuss my experience with this Korean treatment serum in this COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum Review.
This post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum
COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum is formulated to offer the skin multiple benefits by reducing traces of acne, like redness, dark spots, and acne scars.
The post-acne care serum targets irritation with COSRX Centella AC-Rx Complex and three healing components of Centella Asiatica: madecassic acid, asiaticoside, and asiatic acid.
The most concentrated ingredient in the serum is healing propolis extract, which is rich in antioxidants that soothe the skin and deliver nutrients. Propolis is known for its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and wound healing properties.
Niacinamide (4%) brightens dull skin and balances oil (sebum) production in the skin, making it a favorite ingredient for those with oily skin.
Centella Asiatica and natural moisturizing factors like sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid) calm and moisturize the skin.
Since this Korean serum works to calm acne and red spots while reducing the look of post-acne hyperpigmentation and dark spots, acne scars, and uneven skin texture, it’s best suited for those with oily or acne-prone skin types.
COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum Key Ingredients
- Propolis Extract: Propolis is a sticky substance made by bees from tree sap and other botanical sources to protect their hives and is known for its high concentration of antioxidants like flavonoids that protect skin cells from free radical damage. Also known as bee glue, propolis also moisturizes the skin, is healing, and has antimicrobial properties, making it an ideal active for those with acne-prone skin.
- Niacinamide: Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is an ingredient that brightens the skin, evens out skin tone, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps control sebum (oil) production in the skin for a more balanced complexion.
- Panthenol: Also known as vitamin B5, panthenol is a soothing ingredient that helps the skin to retain moisture.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a popular and effective humectant that helps the skin retain moisture by drawing water from the air into the skin.
- Allantoin: Allantoin is an ingredient from the comfrey plant known for its healing properties. It helps to soothe and protect the skin.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: Sodium hyaluronate is a form of hyaluronic acid, a natural moisturizing factor (NMF) found in the skin. This active ingredient helps the skin stay hydrated and plump.
- Asiaticoside, Asiatic Acid, Madecassic Acid: These three ingredients are derived from centella asiatica, also known as gotu kola. They work together to calm the skin, reduce inflammation, and promote healing.
- Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil: Sunflower seed oil is a non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores) oil rich in nutrients such as fatty acids like linoleic acid, which may be helpful for acne-prone skin. Clinical studies have shown that acne patients have low levels of linoleic acid in their sebum, which may be one factor in the development of acne. Sunflower oil also helps moisturize and protect the skin and restore a damaged skin barrier.
- Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil: Macadamia oil is another oil rich in fatty acids that help nourish and moisturize the skin. Palmitoleic acid is an uncommon fatty acid found in macadamia oil, has anti-inflammatory benefits, and can even help with hyperpigmentation.
- Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil: A favorite of those with acne-prone skin, tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to calm and reduce acne. In fact, this study found that a 5% tea tree oil gel had comparable effectiveness on mild to moderate acne as a 5% benzoyl peroxide treatment, and with fewer side effects.
- Ceramide NP: Ceramides are a type of lipid that helps to protect the skin and maintain a healthy skin barrier. Research shows that reduced skin barrier function and ceramide levels are found in patients with skin disorders like atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, and contact dermatitis. Ceramides help to restore the skin barrier and reduce inflammation.
COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum Review
The first thing I noticed about COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum is how incredibly lightweight the formula is.
It almost feels like water on my skin. It has no stickiness or greasiness and dries quickly after application.
It leaves my skin soft and smooth and works well with other skincare products due to the sheer texture of the formula, which makes it convenient to use during the day under makeup.
I have a somewhat sensitive skin type and often have trouble with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid products for acne, so this serum is the perfect alternative.
It did not irritate my skin at all but soothed and calmed redness and breakouts.
This product contains some great ingredients for acne-prone skin. Propolis extract, niacinamide, and tea tree oil are all known for their acne-fighting properties.
I love that it contains some actives found in Centella asiatica. It is an ancient medicinal herb that has been used in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries.
The three compounds derived from Centella in this product – asiaticoside, asiatic acid, and madecassic acid – work together to calm acne and post-acne redness.
I think one of the best benefits of this serum is that it doesn’t contain any harsh or drying ingredients to treat acne that could compromise your delicate skin barrier.
It is important to have a strong skin barrier to lock in moisture and keep out external stressors like pollution and bacteria, which can worsen acne and breakouts.
Overall, I am very pleased with the serum. Serum texture and comfort are a large part of the product experience for me, and this is one of the most lightweight serums I’ve ever used.
I haven’t experienced any residual post-acne marks while using this serum either.
I will definitely reach for this serum on days when my skin is breaking out, irritated, and sensitized, as it calms my skin down and reduces redness.
This serum is a little pricey compared to other Korean serums that target the same concerns. Although it does contain hyaluronic acid, it’s not noticeably hydrating, so if you have dry skin prone to breakouts, you might need an additional product for hydration.
If you have severe acne, this serum may not be strong enough to get your breakouts and redness under control.
But if you have mild to moderate acne, this could be a great option to calm and soothe your skin.
How To Use COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum
Use in your morning and/or evening skincare routine after cleansing and toning your skin and before applying moisturizer.
Dispense a few drops on your palm and gently pat onto your face until it is fully absorbed.
Don’t forget to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher in your morning routine to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays, which can compromise your skin barrier and worsen acne and breakouts!
Related Post: Best Korean Serums For Acne Prone Skin
COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum Alternative
If you are looking for a lightweight and affordable serum to calm irritated skin and help soothe and repair acne-prone skin, iUNIK Tea Tree Relief Serum is a great alternative to the COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum.
It contains similar ingredients to this COSRX serum, like tea tree leaf water, Centella asiatica leaf water, niacinamide, sodium hyaluronate, glycerin, and allantoin. Plus, it’s much more affordable ounce for ounce.
Related Post: Best COSRX Products For Oily Acne-Prone Skin
Final Thoughts on COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum
If you are looking for a lightweight and gentle serum to calm oily or acne-prone skin, COSRX AC Collection Blemish Spot Clearing Serum is a great option.
It contains some powerhouse ingredients like propolis extract, niacinamide, and compounds from Centella asiatica to soothe and repair skin.
Even better, the gentle ingredients won’t dry out or irritate your skin.
Thanks for reading, and until next time, here’s to your good skin health!