Crepey skin gets its name from crepe paper, the wrinkly textured paper that you may remember from childhood arts and crafts projects. Crepey skin is characteristic of thin, fragile, wrinkled skin that may also appear loose and sagging. Lines and wrinkles often come along with crepey skin and you may also experience dullness and skin that is lacking radiance.
Luckily, there are some fantastic body lotions for crepey skin on arms and legs that improve the appearance of wrinkly crepe paper-like skin. They are formulated to hydrate, moisturize, improve texture, and soothe crepey skin. Let’s look at the best moisturizing lotions and creams for crepey wrinkly skin on your arms and legs.
The 12 Best Body Lotions for Crepey Skin on Arms and Legs in 2021
Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment is formulated especially for dry, crepey skin. The treatment targets the visible signs of aging, and works to firm and smooth the skin. It supports natural elastin production with its proprietary Trufirm Complex and 9 super hydrators.
Crepe Erase’s Trufirm Complex contains a blend of essential phytonutrients including apple, dill, and sage extracts, which are all naturally derived. Apple extract helps protect the skin’s structure, dill oil supports natural elastin production, and phytoactive ursolic acid from Moroccan sage targets the visible signs of aging and UV damage. The result is firmer, smoother, and healthier skin. It delivers 48 hours of hydration and its formula is dermatologist tested and safe for sensitive skin.
- Coconut Oil: Reduces water loss and targets dryness
- Cocoa Butter: Supports elasticity and seals in moisture
- Vitamin E: Protects the skin from environmental aggressors, including pollution and UV rays, preventing free radical damage
- Grapeseed Oil: Contains antioxidant properties and is non-comedogenic and is lightweight, absorbing quickly into the skin
- Olive Oil: Antioxidant properties protect from the premature signs of aging
- Squalane: Reduces the signs of aging and protects the skin
- Glyceride Trio: Smoothes and moisturizes the skin
The Original Citrus scent is bright and uplifting but not heavy or overpowering. Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment also comes in a fragrance-free version.
Your best bet with this product is to ignore the claims that it is a magic bullet for crepey skin and appreciate the fact that it is an effective hydrating and anti-aging moisturizer for your body.
Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment vs. Crepe Erase Intensive Body Repair Treatment
The difference between Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment and the original Crepe Erase Intensive Body Repair Treatment is that Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment contains a blend of 12 plant-based ingredients that soak into the skin more easily and effectively, so you are supposed to see results quicker than the original/classic Intensive formula. Both treatments have thick and rich consistencies, like whipped body butter, but without any greasiness.
The price tag is not cheap for both versions of Crepe Erase, so if you are interested, you can try the smaller Crepe Erase Advanced Body Repair Treatment 3.3 oz or Crepe Erase Intensive Body Repair Treatment 3.5 oz.
Related Post: Crepe Erase Review
StriVectin Crepe Control Tightening Body Cream is not your average body cream. Formulated by Strivectin, a skincare brand with over 35 years of biomedical research that focuses on high-performance formulas for aging and changing skin.
This cream brightens and tightens crepey skin while improving the appearance of texture, elasticity, dehydration, dullness, and uneven skin tone. The lightweight formula improves skin luminosity by moisturizing the skin, leaving it super soft and smooth.
- Jojoba Seed Extract: Contains vitamin E, vitamin B complex, and fatty acids.
- Turmeric Root Extract: Offers anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Butter Blend: A blend of shea murmuru and capuacu butters nourish and moisture that skin leaving it ultra-smooth and soft.
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38: Also known as Matrixyl synthe’6, this peptide can help boost collagen and hyaluronic acid.
This crepey skin cream also contains caffeine, known for its antioxidant and microcirculation benefits, plus moisturizing shea butter and glycerin. The cream is chock full of fruit and plant extracts, including apple, cranberry, sweet cherry, kiwi, pomegranate, blackberry, red algae, rosemary leaf, and sunflower extracts. These plant extracts are known for their emollient, soothing, moisturizing, and antioxidant benefits.
This cream can be used on the body twice a day. Since it is on the more expensive end of the price spectrum, you may want to concentrate the cream on specific areas of concern where crepiness is most prevalent.
Related Post: StriVectin Review
Gold Bond Ultimate Crepe Corrector Age Defense Lotion targets crepey skin and firms and plumps dry and aging skin. It’s a smoothing concentrate that contains omega fatty acids, botanicals like ginger root extract, and aloe vera, plus antioxidants to protect, nourish and moisturize the skin for 24-hour hydration.
The crepey skin formula contains 7 moisturizers, like glycerin and jojoba esters, and 3 vitamins, including vitamin E, which provides photoprotection against damaging UVB rays. It also contains Stress Response Proteins found in the Resurrection Plant (Selaginella Lepidophylla), a plant that can withstand harsh dry weather.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice: Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory benefits, is moisturizing, and offers healing properties.
- Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract: Rich in vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants and helps protect skin against UV damage.
- Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract: Rich in proteins, vitamins, and sugars, this fruit extract gently exfoliates and has brightening and antibacterial benefits.
- Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract: Offers antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, and toning benefits.
- Bisabolol: An active ingredient that comes from chamomile. Bisabolol soothes and reduces inflammation.
- Ubiquinone: An antioxidant that can help smooth wrinkles.
- Panthenol: Also known as pro-vitamin B-5, panthenol soothes and moisturizes the skin, supporting a healthy skin barrier.
This fast-absorbing cream is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and suitable for all skin types.
Related Post: Gold Bond for Crepey Skin: A Review
InvisiCrepe Body Balm is a luxury skincare cream that targets the look of thin, wrinkly crepey skin. It provides hydration, cell regeneration, and protein network support with the following:
- A Hydrating Multi-Fruit Complex and Lipid Compound hydrate the skin, helps your skin retain water, and strengthen the skin barrier.
- Lactococcus ferment lysate and oat bran extract support cell regeneration. Lactococcus ferment lysate, per the manufacturer, improves the speed of epidermal growth.
- Niacinamide and ribose help strengthen skin proteins like collagen and elastin. These proteins are part of the skin’s dermal matrix, which acts as the scaffolding of the skin.
This body balm is very lightweight and sinks in quickly, leaving your skin very soft and silky. It contains a light fragrance that does not linger. For more on this body balm for crepey skin, please see my Invisicrepe Body Balm review.
Gold Bond Ultimate Strength & Resilience Skin Therapy Lotion is another budget-friendly option from Gold Bond to address crepey skin. But don’t let the affordable drugstore price fool you into thinking that it won’t perform. This lotion is effective.
Formulated especially for aging and mature skin, this lotion contains a blend of 7 moisturizers and 3 vitamins in addition to vital proteins & lipids to restore skin’s moisture. This lotion contains many of the same ingredients as Gold Bond Ultimate Crepe Corrector Age Defense Lotion* including aloe vera, fruit extracts, panthenol, bisabolol, ubiquinone, and the following:
- Antioxidants: Help to protect from UV damage, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and protect from environmental stressors.
- Glycerin: Skin identical ingredient and moisturizer.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A form of vitamin C that helps brighten the skin and support collagen formation.
- Skin Firming Complex: Helps enhance skin’s protective layer.
This lotion is dermatologist-tested, non-greasy, and lightweight. It is fragrance-free and provides up to 24 hours of moisture.
Perfect for aging and mature skin, it will strengthen, increase resilience, and improve the texture of the skin, all at a low drugstore price.
*Please note that Gold Bond Ultimate Strength & Resilience Skin Therapy Lotion is 13 oz, while Gold Bond Ultimate Crepe Corrector Age Defense Lotion is 8 oz.
Adamia Therapeutic Repair Lotion is the perfect skincare treatment for damaged distressed and crepey skin. Combining science and nature, this lotion uses macadamia nut oil, Adamia’s skincare therapy complex. Macadamia nut oil is very similar to human sebum. This allows it to mimic the skin’s natural oil-producing capabilities. The result is excellent absorption, hydration, and moisturization.
- Promega-7: A blend of pure macadamia oil, which is rich in omega-7, along with other effective moisturizers. This lotion is also ideal for aging skin in need of hydration and healing.
- Alpha-Tocopherol: Contains natural antioxidants, linoleum acid helps restore the skin barrier function, squalene helps soothe the skin, while phytosterols help reduce itchiness.
If your skin is red, cracked, burning, or broken, this lotion will provide soothing hydrating relief. Ideal for tissue paper skin and sensitive skin in need of repair. Once you starting using this product, you should see a reduction in skin tears. It absorbs quickly without greasy residue. Suitable for total body use. Dermatologist tested, fragrance-free, and non-allergenic.
Medix 5.5 Retinol & Ferulic Acid Anti-Sagging Treatment, an anti-sagging treatment, contains retinol (a type of retinoid) and ferulic acid to hydrate and tighten sagging skin. It is formulated at a skin-balancing pH of 5.5, hence the 5.5 in the product name. We’ve all heard how retinoids can improve the signs of aging on your face including fine lines and wrinkles and uneven skin texture. Retinoids can also help the skin on your arms and legs and the rest of your body.
- Retinol: A derivative of vitamin A, retinol targets crepey and sun-damaged skin and supports skin elasticity and collagen production and a strong skin barrier.
- Ferulic Acid: An antioxidant that brightens and evens skin tone, protects from free radical damage, and helps reduce the formation of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots.
- Botanimoist AMS: A saccharide complex extracted from apples, that increases hydration, moisture and improves skin texture.
This lotion also contains black tea, aloe vera, and chamomile which are rich in vitamins C and E. These vitamins contain potent antioxidants that help to improve the appearance of wrinkles and the signs of aging.
Although this product has a somewhat strong fragrance, it is non-greasy and particularly helpful for crepey arms and hands. It may even help with keratosis pilaris (trapped keratin in hair follicles under the skin). This product is vegan, cruelty-free, and free of sulfates, formaldehyde releasers, PEGs, alcohol, dyes, and talc.
Related Post: Can You Use Niacinamide with Retinol?
Advanced Clinicals Hyaluronic Acid Instant Skin Hydrator is an anti-aging cream for the face that comes in a spa-size bottle that can also be used all over the body on wrinkles, fine lines, and crepey skin. It is formulated to restore volume on saggy skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid: An all-star hydrator. Hyaluronic acid can attract up to 1,000 times its weight in water! It plumps the skin and reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Borage Oil: An anti-inflammatory that moisturizes and strengthens the skin barrier.
- Squalane: Provides anti-aging benefits such as minimizing fine lines and wrinkles, balances oil production, and mimics the lipids found in the skin without being greasy.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that protects from environmental aggressors and is an emollient that calms and replenishes the skin.
- Aloe Vera: Soothes the skin.
The pump bottle makes the application of this two-in-one product a breeze. You can moisturize your face and body at the same time. Paraben-free and made in the USA. Not tested on animals.
Related Post: The Best Korean Moisturizers for Dry Skin
Alpha Skincare Renewal Body Lotion is formulated with a whopping 12% alpha hydroxy acid at a pH level of 4.0. It also contains glycolic acid, which is a derivative of sugarcane that supports collagen formation and sweeps away dead skin cells for brighter smoother skin. Glycolic acid is well-known for it’s effectiveness in facial skincare products, so this body lotion will also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles on your body.
- 12% Glycolic Acid: An alpha-hydroxy acid that exfoliates dead skin cells on a deep level. Skin appears brighter with better clarity and more even skin tone. It cleans out pores to reduce clogging and the formation of acne. The look of fine lines, wrinkles, and pores are minimized.
- Glycerin: A skin-identical ingredient that is a humectant, pulling water into the skin.
Although this body lotion is formulated for all skin types, those with sensitive skin should do a patch test to ensure that glycolic acid does not irritate your skin. For daytime use, sunscreen is recommended on areas of skin that will be exposed to the sun, as alpha-hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
Some users even see an improvement in keratosis pilaris, little bumps of trapped keratin in hair follicles under the skin that you often see on the cheeks, arms, or legs. That makes sense as the glycolic acid in this formula will exfoliate the skin to reveal brighter more radiant skin. This lotion is paraben and fragrance-free.
Related Post: Can You Use Salicylic Acid with Niacinamide?
InstaNatural Crepe Skin Firming Cream is formulated to lift and tighten wrinkles, saggy and loose skin all over the body including the neck, chest, décolleté, hands, and legs.
- Glycolic Acid: An alpha-hydroxy acid that exfoliates the skin at a deep level, boosting cell turnover and smoothing the skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hydrates the skin and plumps the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Collagen: Helps to plump wrinkles to lift and tighten the skin.
- Caffeine: Known for its tightening and energizing effects.
- Shea Butter: Nourishes and smooths the skin.
This cream can be used by all skin types, including dry, sensitive, and mature skin. Apply to clean, dry skin in upward motions until fully absorbed.
This product is free from parabens, sls/sles, mineral oil, formaldehyde releasers, synthetic dyes, petroleum, polyethylene glycol (PEGs), DEA/MEA/TEA, and unsafe preservatives. InstaNatural is Leaping Bunny Certified which indicates that they don’t test their products on animals at any stage in product development.
Related Post: The 15 Best Body Washes for Dry Skin
For an easily accessible and affordable drugstore lotion to treat crepey skin, NIVEA Nourishing Skin Firming Body Lotion w/ Q10 and Vitamin C is formulated for dry to very dry skin. In as little as 2 weeks, it helps firm skin and improve elasticity.
- Vitamin C: An all-star skincare ingredient for the face, vitamin C also works on the rest of the body to keep the delicate skin barrier balanced. It is a potent antioxidant that will protect the skin from damage caused by UV rays and other environmental stressors.
- Q10: An antioxidant that supports collagen production and defends against free radical damage helping to minimize the look of the signs of aging.
This is a good option if you want a lightweight lotion that sinks in quickly, will hydrate for up to 48 hours, and will not leave you feeling like an oil slick. It will soften and firm skin, leaving it silky smooth. Just be consistent with daily use, and for best results, apply twice daily.
REN AHA Smart Renewal Body Serum is a departure from the traditional lotion or cream that treats crepey skin. This product comes in a serum form, which is lighter than a cream.
- Lactic Acid (AHA) from Yeast: Lactic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that is a chemical exfoliant. It sweeps away dead skin cells to help the skin’s natural renewal process. A gentler AHA than glycolic acid.
- Probiotic Extract: Helps strengthen the skin’s natural barrier to ward off irritation and other environmental aggressors which can throw the skin’s acid mantle out of balance, accelerating the aging process and the development of crepey skin.
- Xylitol from Vegetable Bark: Promotes optimal water reserves for improved hydration.
This serum will exfoliate the skin to improve skin with a rough texture. The skin will be softer, smoother, and the result will be improved moisture levels. It is lightweight, absorbs quickly, is non-greasy, and smells somewhat sweet. Although this product is one of the more expensive on the list, it will brighten the skin, provide a natural glow, and really improve hydration.
For Crepey Skin on the Neck and Chest
If you are concerned about crepey skin on your neck and chest, Gold Bond Ultimate Neck & Chest Firming Cream is formulated specifically for the delicate skin on the neck and chest.
It contains 7 moisturizers, 3 vitamins, and plumping hyaluronic acid to visibly improve skin firmness, texture, and loss of elasticity. Salicylic acid, a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), exfoliates dead skin cells to reveal a fresher more radiant complexion. This cream also contains Stress Response Proteins plus fruit extracts to improve skin smoothness and the skin’s ability to retain moisture.
It is fragrance-free, dermatologist-tested, and also comes in an SPF 20 version that provides broad-spectrum sunscreen protection against the damaging effects of sun exposure like hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and wrinkles.
Why Do You Get Crepey Skin?
You may notice that your skin is thinner, more fragile, and is losing its bounciness. Some of the areas on your body that you may see crepey skin are on your hands, arms, legs, decollete, and around your eyes. You may wonder how does crepey skin occur in the first place? Is it hereditary or simply due to the aging process? Read on for more details on how crepey skin forms.
While wrinkles occur from repetitive muscle movements, genetics, and sun damage, the main culprit when it comes to crepey skin is sun damage.
Let’s take a look at the many factors which contribute to the formation of crepey skin:
- Sun Damage: Crepey skin is often the result of sun damage, so it often appears in mid-life, although can appear as early as your 20’s if you’ve had high levels of sun exposure. UV rays damage the elastin in your skin. Elastin is the protein fibers in connective tissues of the skin. Think of a rubber band and how elastic it is. It pops back into shape after being stretched. That’s what these fibers do for your skin. It provides structure and resilience to your skin but over time the amount of this protein decreases in your body.
- Losing A Large Amount of Weight: Skin that was once stretched over a large surface area may sag and appears crepey once a large amount of weight has been lost.
- Smoking: Smoking reduces blood flow to your skin, meaning less oxygen reaches your skin. Smoking also causes a reduction in collagen and elastin production which are necessary for firm and bouncy skin. It also may cause free radical damage, hyperpigmentation, and skin discoloration.
- Aging/Genetics: As we age, we produce less collagen and elastin and our skin becomes drier. These factors contribute to the formation of crepey skin.
How to Prevent Your Skin from Sagging and Getting Crepey
- Avoid sun exposure and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen from head to toe of at least SPF 30.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy skin barrier.
- Nourish your skin with skincare hydrating and moisturizing products.
- Visit a dermatologist who can perform treatments (I.e.using fractionated lasers) which can improve crepiness.
Best Ingredients to Treat/Prevent Crepey Skin
- Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 or higher
- Alpha/Beta Hydroxy Acids
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Retinoids (Retinol), which improve elasticity, collagen, and elastin
- Antioxidants fight free radicals from UV rays )which can damage skin and compromise your skin barrier) and protect it from environmental pollution and other stressors
The above selection of body lotions, serums, and creams are formulated to hydrate, soothe, and protect the skin barrier. This yields stronger skin that is better able to withstand the factors that contribute to crepey skin. While no product will be a miracle cure for crepey skin, these body lotions for crepey skin on arms and legs will help support stronger, healthy, hydrated, and moisturized skin.
Final Thoughts on the Best Lotions for Crepey Skin on Arms and Legs in 2021
As we age, our risk for crepey skin increases but if you follow these steps to treat and prevent crepey skin, you will be doing your skin a favor. Your skin will be nourished, hydrated, and better equipped to ward off the damaging effects of UV rays and other environmental, genetic, and age-related stressors that can cause crepey skin.
Whether you choose a budget or high-end skin-strengthening formula, be sure to supplement these treatments by protecting your skin with a broad-spectrum sunscreen that contains at least SPF 30 broad-spectrum sunscreen protection. Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet, and you’ll be on your way to better skin health and less crepey skin.
Until next time, here’s to your good skin health!