When it comes to toners in skincare, you will find a variety of formulas that cater to different skin concerns and skin types. Gone are the days of a drying, astringent toner that strips your skin. The toning step of your skincare routine can be an excellent chance to add extra hydration and nutrients to your skin that you might be lacking.
K-Beauty skincare brand Haruharu’s Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner had some great reviews, so I recently purchased it. I will share my experience in this Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner review.
This Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner review post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner
Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner is a hydrating toner that is formulated to be lightweight and nourishing for the skin.
Haruharu toner’s uniquely fermented formula allows the active ingredients to be more easily absorbed deeper into the skin thanks to their Ultra Deep Technology.
It contains 95% natural ingredients that hydrate, moisturize and soften the skin while prepping it to better absorb the rest of the products in your skincare routine.
Fermented black rice extract and a slew of antioxidants address the visible signs of aging and help to improve skin firmness and brighten the skin. Hyaluronic acid, betaine, beta-glucan, and glucose hydrate and moisturize the skin.
This Korean toner is cruelty-free and has an EWG (Environmental Working Group) green (low hazard) ingredient list.
- Betaine: Betaine is a humectant that helps hydrate the skin by attracting moisture and is also anti-inflammatory. It is an amino acid that is found in beets that is also an anti-irritant.
- Oryza Sativa Extract: A skin conditioning agent containing vitamins and antioxidants like polyphenols and flavonoids that support healthy skin elasticity. The fermentation process in the toner helps improve the antioxidant effects of this extract.
- Phyllostachys Pubescens Shoot Bark Extract: Also known as bamboo shoot extract, this natural brightening ingredient has antimicrobial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it ideal for acne-prone skin types.
- Aspergillus Ferment: A fermented ingredient that may have skin lightening benefits, which could help with hyperpigmentation.
- Panax Ginseng Root Extract: A skin-conditioning agent that is a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory benefits to soothe and treat skin damage.
- Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract: Packed with antioxidants to soothe and brighten the skin and improve skin texture. Also known as Skullcap root extract, it comes from a plant that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat various skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis thanks to its anti-inflammatory benefits. It also has antimicrobial properties which fight against P. acnes, the acne-causing bacteria.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is an intensive moisturizing agent that acts like a sponge to draw moisture to the skin and helps to plump and hydrate the skin. It is naturally found in the body, making it very compatible with our skin.
- Beta Glucan: Beta glucan is a reparative moisturizing active with antioxidant benefits that encourage skin regeneration and protect the skin from harmful environmental factors, including UV damage. It also soothes and calms the skin while promoting hydration. Excellent for sensitive skin.
- Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract: An antibacterial and preservative.
- Zanthoxylum Piperitum Fruit Extract: Also known as Japanese pepper, this extract has antimicrobial and antioxidant benefits and is a natural preservative.
- Pulsatilla Koreana Extract: Sometimes referred to as the Korean Pasque flower, it is an antimicrobial, preservative, and anti-inflammatory ingredient that also works to soothe the skin.
- Tamarindus Indica Seed Gum: An emollient and skin conditioning agent that is made from the seed of the tamarind tree. It helps to hydrate and soften the skin while also strengthening the skin’s barrier.
- Glucose: A hydrating and moisturizing sugar.
Please note that there is added fragrance and lavender essential oil in the original version of this toner. There is also an alcohol and fragrance-free version available for those sensitive skin or if you’d rather have no scent.
Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner Review
Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner contains many great active ingredients, so I was excited to see what all the hype was about.
This Korean toner has a slightly thicker consistency than some watery toners but absorbs incredibly quickly into the skin. At first, it feels a little slippery, which I attribute to the propanediol in the formula.
Propanediol is humectant and solvent, which gives it an almost oily feel. This slipper feeling dissipates quickly upon absorption.
After cleansing, you can apply the toner with a cotton pad, but I like to pour some into the palm of my hand and gently pat it into my damp skin. It leaves my skin soft and hydrated but feels really weightless and isn’t heavy or sticky on my skin.
If you have dehydrated or dry skin, you could apply another layer or even multiple layers of this toner (like in the 7 Skin method popular in Korean skincare), to your face for added moisture and nourishment.
I found that it didn’t interfere with my other skincare products or makeup.
I absolutely love all of the antioxidants in this toner that help defend my skin from free radicals. It also has a few brightening ingredients that naturally give my skin a radiant complexion.
I think what makes this product stand out from the sea of toners in the skincare industry is the fermentation process that it undergoes. The fermentation of the ingredients helps improve the fantastic antioxidant effects of this extract, which means it can better help repair and protect skin damage.
The one drawback for me was the fragrance. It was a bit too strong and medicinal for me, so if I repurchase it, it will definitely be the fragrance-free version.
Final Thoughts Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner
Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner is an effective product to have in your skincare routine if you’re looking for a toner that has a super lightweight texture but also gives skin all the hydration and antioxidants ingredients your skin craves.
What is great about this toner is that it can work for just about any skin type. It hydrates, balances, and soothes. The fragrance-free version would be ideal for sensitive skin.
For more moisturizing Korean toners, please see my post on the best Korean Toners for dry skin.
Thanks for reading, and until next time, here’s to your good skin health!