I’m From Rice Toner is a best-selling Korean toner that is formulated with over 75% rice extract from South Korea. Today, we’ll discuss my experience with this K-Beauty favorite in this I’m From Rice Toner review.
About the Brand: I’m From
I’m From is a Korean skincare brand that produces all of its products in South Korea. Their focus is on product transparency, as each product label includes the main ingredient origin. I’m From goes even further and discloses the farm that the ingredient was harvested from.
I’m From was founded by Lab and Company, which also founded SKIN&LAB and the teenage skincare brand CHICA Y CHICO. I’m From is known for its skincare collections that focus on natural ingredients like rice, mugwort, honey, fig, and ginseng.
Founder Mr. Chan-Young Kim worked with a dermatologist to create vitamin creams formulated with several vitamins ranging from A to K. Customers were encouraged to mix products depending on their skin type.
I’m From continues to innovate in the competitive K-Beauty market by including high levels of pure ingredients in their products, including I’m From Rice Toner, which we will discuss today.
This post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
The Benefits of Toner
Toners are skincare products that usually have a texture similar to water and help to remove impurities and dead skin cells while offering other benefits for the skin.
You might be wondering why you should use a toner at all in the first place. Forget the astringent toners of years past that would strip your skin leaving it feeling uncomfortable dry or tight. Today toners are formulated to provide multiple benefits for the skin:
- Toners help remove residual makeup, dirt, oil, sweat, or even leftover cleanser after washing your face. This is especially helpful for those who have oily skin since these impurities can clog pores leading to breakouts, blemishes and may worsen acne.
- Toners can also balance your skin’s pH after cleansing and prep it for the rest of your skincare routine by leaving your skin plumped and moisturized and ready to absorb additional skin-loving actives.
- Depending on the formula, toners can benefit your skin type by providing additional hydration and moisture for dry skin, brightening benefits for dull skin, anti-aging benefits for aging or mature skin, oil control for oily skin, or even soothing and calming benefits for sensitive skin.
Related Post: The Best Korean Toners for All Skin Types
I’m From Rice Toner Formula
I’m From Rice Toner is a toner formulated for hydrating, smoothing, brightening, and whitening the skin. It gently exfoliates dead skin cells for a more luminous, smoother, and radiant complexion with improved skin texture.
I’m From Rice Toner is a multi-benefit toner that contains 77.78% rice extract. The rice in the formula is grown in Yeoju, South Korea. The type of rice is rich in vitamins and minerals to remove impurities from the skin, hydrate, and gently exfoliate the skin. It makes skin smooth, and soft, and supports firmness and improved skin elasticity.
Yeoju rice contains the ingredient lysine, which is a building block for collagen. Collagen is a protein that gives skin its structure, making it appear firmer and more youthful.
Rice Extract Benefits in Skincare
Rice has been used in Korean skincare for many years as a brightening and cleansing ingredient. Rice bran extract comes from the brown outer layer of a kernel of rice, which is rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin E, and other compounds such as gamma oryzanol, which contains ferulic acid, an antioxidant that helps to protect skin from free radical damage from UV exposure.
I’m From Rice Toner contains several other actives that benefit the skin:
- Oryza Sativa Bran Extract, as noted above, is an extract from the outer layer of rice and is filled with over 100 antioxidants, plus vitamins and minerals. It also contains polysaccharides and omega-3 fatty acids which support skin hydration and moisture while strengthening the skin.
- Niacinamide is one of the best multi-benefit over-the-counter skincare actives that is known for its many anti-aging benefits. Niacinamide improves cell turnover, which helps to fade hyperpigmentation, dark spots, uneven skin tone and improves skin brightness and radiance. It boosts collagen production and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Niacinamide can also balance sebum production and help to reduce the look of blemishes and acne. Plus, it helps to strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier, which locks in hydration and moisture.
- Portulaca Oleracea Extract, also known as Purslane Extract, is a plant extract used in traditional Korean medicine that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that protect and repair the skin.
- Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract (Ulmus Extract) is a polysaccharide often used in Korean and Chinese traditional medicine that has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps with photodamage (changes to and aging of the skin from prolonged exposure to UV rays) and is almost as moisturizing as all-star hydrator hyaluronic acid.
- Amaranthus Caudatus Seed Extract, or Amaranth Seed Extract, is an extract from the Amaranth plant, also known as Love-Lies-Bleeding plant. This extract has emollient properties and is an excellent moisturizer.
- Adenosine has multiple benefits for the skin. It can help to smooth wrinkles while supporting skin firmness and a healthy skin moisture barrier. It also has anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties.
Related Post: The Best Korean Moisturizers
I’m From Rice Toner: My Review
The texture of I’m From Rice Toner texture is very lightweight and almost watery in consistency even though it is white in color. It sinks into the skin easily and feels like water, yet it’s not stripping or drying like some toners.
I’m From Rice Toner is a dual-layer toner. This means that there is a water layer and an emulsion layer that must be mixed prior to application. So be sure to shake the bottle well before applying.
The toner is very refreshing and feels cleansing on my skin, as it removes any residual makeup or any left-over cleansing balm or cleanser from a double cleanse. The water-like consistency makes it easy to apply multiple layers, as my skin drinks this toner in.
It’s a gently hydrating toner and provides just the right amount of moisture for my combination skin. If you have really dry skin you can easily apply a few additional layers of this toner. It feels clarifying and balancing and would be ideal for all skin types including dry, normal, combination, or oily skin types in need of hydration.
This toner is fragrance-free and does not contain potentially irritating essential oils, which should appeal to those who have sensitive skin.
I have yet to see noticeable brightening benefits from this toner, but I really like the fact that it is so gentle, unscented, and preps my skin for the rest of the ingredients in my skincare routine.
Related Post: Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner Review
How to Use Toner
Start out by washing your face. If you are following a multi-step Korean skincare routine that includes double cleansing your skin to remove makeup, dirt, sunscreen, and oil, start with an oil-based cleansing balm and follow with a water-based cleanser. After cleansing, gently pat your face with a towel to ensure that your face is dry.
Toner is applied next. Toner can be applied with a cotton pad, cotton ball, or even your fingers. You can apply a single layer, or to reap more of the benefits of the toner, apply multiple layers.
In Korean skincare, the three-skin method has evolved to the seven-skin method in recent years. As the names imply, these methods involve applying from three to seven layers of toner by allowing each thin product layer to be absorbed into your skin before moving on to the next layer.
Whether you choose to apply a single or multiple layers of toner, after you’ve allowed the toner to absorb into your skin, you can move onto the rest of your skincare routine knowing that your skin is prepped and ready to receive the rest of the beneficial actives and moisturizers in your routine.
Final Thoughts on I’m From Rice Toner
I’m From Rice Toner is the perfect option for the toning step of your skin care routine. It’s lightweight and watery in consistency, and provides multiple skincare benefits like hydrating and brightening the skin with continued use.
While I’m From Rice Toner is formulated for all skin types, those with dull, dehydrated, or dry skin and those with mature or aging skin will get the most benefits from this toner due to its hydrating and moisturizing benefits.
I love that it sinks in quickly and doesn’t interfere with the rest of your skincare routine and has no artificial fragrance which might irritate the skin.
Thanks for reading, and until next time… here’s to your good skin health!