Cult-favorite Korean toner Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner has fans raving about what it can do for your skin in 30 days. So I purchased the toner and put it to work for 30 days to see what all the fuss is about. I’ll discuss my experience and results in this Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner review.
This Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner review post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner Benefits
Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner is a multi-tasking toner that contains tea tree leaf water, niacinamide, plus an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), and a polyhydroxy acid (PHA) to sweep away dead skin cells and sebum (oil) inside the pores to reveal brighter, smoother skin with better clarity and radiance.
These ingredients are especially helpful for those with oily and acne-prone skin.
The toner is also supposed to reduce the look of enlarged pores for a smoother complexion. It is formulated at a pH of 5.5, which is similar to that of our skin. The bottle contains 150 ml or a little over 5 oz.
Per the brand, it has completed a skin irritation test and a non-comedogenic test making it suitable for you if you have an acne-prone skin type.
This Korean toner (one of the best Korean toners for oily skin and also one of the best Korean toners for acne prone skin) is very popular and sells so well that apparently, one bottle of this Korean toner is sold every three seconds!
Related Post: Best Korean Toners for All Skin Types
Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner Ingredients
Let’s take a look at the key active ingredients in the formula:
- Glycerin: Moisturizes and protects the skin while supporting a healthy skin barrier.
- Niacinamide: A multi-benefit active that works as an anti-ager by smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. It also improves ceramide production, which supports a strong skin barrier. Niacinamide helps to balance sebum (oil) production and helps to fade post-acne marks, hyperpigmentation, and dark spots. Niacinamide at 4% concentration has been found to be as effective as 1% clindamycin in the treatment of acne.
- Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract: An antibacterial plant extract that purifies and soothes troubled and acne-prone skin. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory benefits and can help treat acne. Please note that the tea tree extract in this toner contains lower concentrations of actives than tea tree oil.
- Carica Papaya Fruit Extract: Contains the enzyme papain, which gently exfoliates dead skin cells for a more even skin tone. Also is antibacterial and contains vitamins C and E which offer antioxidant benefits for the skin that combat the signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Seed Extract: Offers antioxidant benefits and is rich in proteins, minerals, and vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), which moisturizes and softens the skin.
- Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract: Contains astringent hamamelitannin, antioxidant catechins, and antibacterial gallic acid to soothe and repair the skin.
- Nelumbo Nucifera (Sacred Lotus) Flower Extract: A plant extract that offers whitening and anti-wrinkle benefits.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: The salt form of hyaluronic acid. Sodium hyaluronate helps the skin retain water and hydrates parched skin.
- Allantoin: Extracted from the comfrey plant extract, this compound is soothing and reparative for the skin.
- Adenosine: Supports collagen production for smoother and firmer skin, while offering anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair properties.
- Salicylic Acid: A beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) that is oil-soluble and travels deep into pores to clear away pore-clogging impurities. It is anti-inflammatory and targets whiteheads and blackheads and exfoliates the skin to improve uneven skin texture, fine lines, and acne.
- Lactobionic Acid: A polyhydroxy acid (PHA) that moisturizes the skin, supports a healthy skin barrier and gently exfoliates the skin.
- Citric Acid: An alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that provides a very mild exfoliation of dead skin cells.
- Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil: While this creates a lovely minty fresh scent, it may irritate the skin, so the oil may not be the best choice for those with sensitive skin.
Full Ingredient List:
Water, Butylene Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract (10000ppm), Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Seed Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera (Sacred Lotus) Flower Extract, Swiftlet Nest Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fructan, Allantoin, Adenosine, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Xylitol, Salicylic Acid (100ppm), Lactobionic Acid (100ppm), Citric Acid (500ppm), Sodium Citrate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Benzyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Raspberry Ketone, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil.
30 Days Later: Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner Review
I’ve been using Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner for 30 days, usually both morning and night, after cleansing on dry skin before any serums, treatments, or moisturizers.
The toner has a lightweight watery texture and feels silky going on the skin. It leaves my skin soft and hydrated but not greasy or oily.
What is the Some By Mi toner AHA BHA percentage?
While the exact percentage of ingredients is not disclosed, there are higher concentrations of glycerin, niacinamide, and tea tree leaf extract and lower concentrations of AHA, BHA, and PHA acids in the toner.
This was obvious without looking at the ingredient list because the toner did not irritate my skin at all. (Salicylic acid (BHA) in higher concentrations irritates my skin, but that was not the case with this toner.)
I still get surface blemishes since starting this toner, but they go away quicker than usual, and the residual redness does not last as long. I love how my face feels moisturized and fresh after using this toner.
Is it a miracle? I don’t think so, but it’s a really great toner that I will continue to use and will repurchase because it checks off all the boxes: it has effective actives and helps control acne, breakouts, and redness without interfering with any other skincare actives used in the same skincare routine.
How to Use Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner
After cleansing, apply with a soaked cotton pad and gently pat into your skin until absorbed. For a more intense treatment, you can also apply with a soaked cotton pad on specific areas in need of treatment for 1-3 minutes and gently wipe off the affected area.
Follow with desired treatments, serums, a moisturizer, and sunscreen in the AM. I love following Some By Mi Miracle toner with the Some By Mi 30 Days Miracle Cream for lightweight hydration.
What’s the Difference Between AHAs, BHAs, and PHAs?
AHAs – Alpha Hydroxy Acids
AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) are chemical exfoliants that work on the skin’s surface to dissolve the bonds that hold skin cells together, allowing dead skin cells to be swept away to reveal brighter, smoother skin. AHAs improve the skin’s Natural Moisturizing Factors (humectants in our skin that keep it hydrated).
Be sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher while using and for 7 days after. Ideal for normal to dry skin.
Common AHAs in skincare include:
BHAs – Beta Hydroxy Acids
BHAs (Beta Hydroxy Acids) are chemical exfoliants that work on the skin’s surface to dissolve the bonds that hold skin cells together and in the pores since BHAs are oil soluble. They work to unclog pores and reduce blemishes and breakouts.
Salicylic acid is the main BHA that is commonly found in skincare products that treat acne and blemishes. Ideal for problematic, oily, and acne-prone skin.
PHAs – Polyhydroxy Acids
PHAs (Polyhydroxy Acids) are chemicals exfoliants similar to AHAs that work to exfoliate dead skin cells on the skin’s surface but have a larger molecule size, so they do not travel as deep into the skin as AHAs, thus provide a gentler exfoliation.
PHAs also draw water to the skin and are moisturizing. Ideal for those with dry or sensitive skin. PHAs found in skincare products include:
- Lactobionic Acid
For more on skincare acids, please see my post on AHA vs BHA vs PHA.
Final Thoughts on Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner
I think for those struggling with acne, breakouts, acne scars, Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner would be an excellent toner. It’s so lightweight and refreshing and the perfect in-between step after cleansing and before your other active treatments and moisturizer.
If you are interested in additional products in the Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days line, in addition to the Miracle Toner, they offer a Miracle Acne Clear Foam Cleanser, Miracle Serum, and Miracle Cream.
They also offer an AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle AC SOS 4-Piece Set (shown above) that includes smaller sizes of all 4 products. They’re great for travel or sampling without having to pay full price for the larger sizes.
Thanks for reading, and until next time, here’s to your good skin health!